Friday, January 27, 2012

The Moon of Honey

Where do I even begin? We have been in a whirl wind since arriving back in Starkville. Baseball season is about to make it’s official start, and I am back into the swing of work. Now I know all of the pictures on Facebook tell part of the story, BUT since I have not uploaded pictures since 2010 and I all of a sudden decided to upload 407, Facebook kicked me off of its picture section for 2 whole days! I couldn’t tell little stories under the pictures OR turn them the right way up. I’m using this blog to highlight some of our favorite moments.

We’ll start with the landing. We arrived on Monday around 3 p.m.

Never take photos until you are cleared by Customs. I had a gruff island woman poke me and yell at me for snapping a quick pic.

We finally arrived to Ladera around 4 p.m. The place was AMAZING. I won’t lie. I was nervous about getting to this place that looked great in pictures, had an odd living concept, and would ultimately expose us to the elements. It may sound crazy, but it was even more beautiful than the pictures!! You cannot prepare yourself to wake up each morning to rainforest covered mountains, native flowers growing everywhere (I couldn’t help but think of my mom the whole time who would have LOVED all the flowers), and the ocean spread out before you. We like to refer to it as indescribably beautiful.

Our night time view
Ladera from the sea

After the shock of being where we were rubbed off, we did some really fun stuff in St. Lucia. We conquered the Gros Piton. GT laughed at my way of climbing it. My approach was to climb it on all fours. With really short legs and short arms, I had to use as much leverage as possible to get my butt up that mountain! We made it, and we will never do that again.

SBGTTTT (Sally Beth and Glenn Thomas to the top)

VICTORY! (This one is for the Raborns.)

We also went deep sea fishing. It was fun… Until we started riding in circles in 10 foot waves for an ENTIRE hour. I was SO sea sick. I held it in though. I knew that if I barfed, they would make us go back to the main land, meaning that I would cut GT’s most anticipated activity short.

My face is literally green in our photos.

On a happy note, we caught a Wahoo. The skipper cut us a big chunk, and we had it for dinner at the resort. We ate what we caught!

The Wahoo cooked. Sorry I had eaten a little before I took the pic. BG (big girl) moment.

Speaking of what we ate… The food was GREAT. The fruit was perfect and right off of the plantation next door. The seafood was SO fresh. The resort had a lunch special of hamburgers and French fries, so I did not completely die of American food withdrawals (another BG moment). The resort next door was called Hotel de Chocolate. (It was pronounced to sound fancier than how we would say it.) Everything on their food menu was made with some form of cocoa. They farm the cocoa right off of their land. You could smell the cocoa walking up the path to the restaurant. It was a chocolate lovers dream! They used chocolate in so many neat ways! I had the cocoa ravioli. GT had some kind of fish with a cocoa rub. It was definitely a fun place to say that we tried!


Let’s see… Oh the beaches! Since our resort was nestled up in a mountain, we shared the beach with the Jalousie Plantation. We had to take a shuttle to get there, and the beach was really great. Their beaches are black sand beaches because of the volcanoes that formed the island thousands of years ago. The Jalousie Plantation actually imports white sand to the island to make their beach look “normal.” You could see the white mixed in with the darker sand in places, so it almost worked. It was definitely cool to lay out between two gigantic dormant volcanoes.


We did lots of other stuff, but this post is getting too long. If you want to know anything else, just ask.
Sunset Cruise

Maroon Friday in St. Lucia!!!

Sassy Waterfall Pic

The END!



It may take a while to update again. We (I) am currently sorting through gifts, deciding what we have too much/too little of, and working to get it all figured out.

If you played any role in our engagement/wedding/life to get us to this point, we thank you. We were/are blessed to have so many family members and friends support us through our engagement, at the wedding, and for many years to come.

Love, Mr. and Mrs. Glenn Thomas McCullough

1 comment: